Thank you for downloading NewNode, the app that lets you keep in touch when both your mobile data and your WiFi are unavailable.
Why test NewNode?
NewNode is a messaging app with a unique feature: the ability to send messages when you are disconnected from your normal Internet infrastructure.
Even if your Internet connection is working fine now, it is a good idea to test out NewNode’s Internet-less feature before you need it. Think of this exercise as a fire drill - making sure NewNode works before anything goes wrong, so you don’t have to worry if you do lose access.
How to Test NewNode
To test NewNode, you will need two phones. So grab a friend or family member, and let’s get started!
1. Download NewNode on both phones. Follow the rest of these instructions on both phones.
2. Turn off the mobile data your phone (note: only disconnect one phone). You can find the mobile data toggle in your phone’s settings - it is usually represented by an icon of two arrows facing in opposite directions, like this:
3. Step out of range of your WiFi connection. If you are inside your home, walk outside and down the street until your phone disconnects. (You can also do this on your phone by disconnecting from your home WiFi and choosing the “forget this network” option).
4. Make sure not to turn off your wifi capability completely, because NewNode will use WiFi Direct to connect to nearby NewNode devices when you are disconnected from your home Wifi.
5. Send your first NewNode message!
You can now communicate when your usual Internet infrastructure is unavailable.